BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

January 13, 2009

I have so much...

So the past few days I've been looking into possibly going on a missions trip some day. My dad has really encouraged me in this and I think it is something that I would really like to do someday. Anyhow, so when I was looking on a teen missions site, I saw that most of the trips were for 6 + weeks. Then I saw that with most places, you sleep in tents and have to take baths in buckets. And most of the stuff the teens would be doing was construction. I quickly decided that wasn't for me.

But then it got me thinking. Leaving home for 6 weeks and living in a tent with no running water seems so--impossible...or not impossible, but rather, I couldn't imagine doing that. How spoiled am I? I'm worried about sleeping in a hot tent...having no running water...having to work really hard..... But there are people who have that their entire life. That really gets me. And I realize that I have no idea what 'hard' really is.

How can I say I would die for my God if I'm not even willing to be outside of my comfort zone for a little over a month to share the gospel?

5 comments:

Wesley said...

Good thoughts.

I think you're not alone on this, either. That doesn't exactly sound like my picture of a mission trip...

SamanthaMarie said...

You really aren't alone. I have not been on a mission trip either, but all of the ones that my friends have gone on have been nothing like that. They stay in really nice hotels, have access to phones, get to go shopping, etc. They spend a few hours every day actually interacting with people in need, but that's it.

I think what you are looking at is a program that shows what a true missionary lifestyle is like. Not the watered down version that we always see. I think it would be an amazing experience if you went on one of those trips. It would make you rely completely upon God and the strength of Jesus.

Pray about it (:

And I'm just a random passer-by but I thought I'd give you my two cents.

God be with you,
Samantha

Mark Hartwick said...

Wow that's really thought provoking. My first thought after I read it was, "Well, I love camping, so I could probably handle it."

Yeah, I love camping. Provided, of course, that there is: Quick and easy access to snacks, drinks, lawn chairs, bathrooms with showers, different sport objects like footballs and frisbees, some books to read, and hopefully a hammock.

So yeah, scratch that thought.

Emily said...

Yeah Mark...I thought the same thing at first. I really love camping too. But exactly....

Yes, very true, Samantha. I think it would be very life changing. That is one reason why I would like to go. To hopefully change the lives of many people who don't have anything....but also change mine.

Matt said...

these kind of thoughts eat at my brain all the time.